The Feminist Pessimist

Journey of giving birth to a girl in a world that just wants her to bake cookies for the boys.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States

I am a software quality assurance engineer and manager for Statistica. I love math, programming, and problem isolation & solving. Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Where have all the gender neutral clothes gone?

The first several months of Emerson's life, we had a good stock of gender neutral clothing. Plenty of yellows and greens, ducks and frogs.

But apparently at around 6 months, Gerber and Carter's decided for us that our little girl would need to be a princess, a war hero, or naked.

I guess they wouldn't even sell the yellows and greens in the younger sizes if there weren't still people waiting until the birth to know what the sex of the baby is.

Right now, she's has two sets of three pajamas. One set is blue - with a sports theme. One set is pink. It has a theme of princesses and fairy tales.

She is not to leave the house in the pink set. Or be photographed. It's not that I care whether people know she's a girl or not. It's just demeaning that the world thinks that a girl should strive to find Prince Charming and wear fine jewelry.

I want to find some clothes that have intelligent things on them. Like her ABC's, pi to several decimal places, and the Pythagorean theorem. But I'd probably have to pay extra for something like that.

Edit: I just found this site: Clever Cuties. It has some awesome stuff, but indeed it is much more expensive than the 3 pack of onesies from Target. I should probably throw a few bucks their way to encourage their presence in the market.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home