The Feminist Pessimist

Journey of giving birth to a girl in a world that just wants her to bake cookies for the boys.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States

I am a software quality assurance engineer and manager for Statistica. I love math, programming, and problem isolation & solving. Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

February again already...

This has been by far the quickest year of my life.

This time last year, we were a few weeks away from having Emerson. I remember it as a very happy time. I was excited. We had 3 baby showers among our friends and workplaces. I was wrapping things up at work to be gone for 6 weeks, so I didn't get stressed out much there. I could eat whatever I wanted. The baby was still safely inside - I knew where she was at all times, and a good kick now and then was enough to let me know everything was going OK.

Despite all the good things that were afoot, I think I also remember that time as happy because of all the free time I had. We saw 3 of the Best Picture nominees in the theater, a place I haven't been in a year. I had a good hour or so every night to do nothing but cross stitch stuff for the baby's room. Lots of time for writing and shopping and cleaning and going to church.

I still enjoy all of these things, but mornings and evenings and weekends are shorter these days. They're much shorter for a good reason - I'm not saying I have any regrets. But I would advise all potential parents to enjoy their free time while they have it.

I'm in the process of trying to reclaim some of the free time that I had before. I'm joining a board at church - not exactly "free" time, but any time that I'm not taking care of the baby seems like free time. Plus it will allow me to reconnect with old friends that I don't see very much. I'm writing right now, thanks to Rod feeding the baby and getting her to sleep.

I hate that time will apparently pass at this rate from now on. I doubt I'll get that much more time to myself later on - with softball games and parent/teacher conferences to go to. But I'm learning to put extra value on the few minutes a day I get of it, as well as high value on the time I get to spend with the awesome little person who is growing up right in front of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home