The Feminist Pessimist

Journey of giving birth to a girl in a world that just wants her to bake cookies for the boys.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States

I am a software quality assurance engineer and manager for Statistica. I love math, programming, and problem isolation & solving. Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Sunday, February 01, 2009

What a catch....



I saw this live on Hardball the other night. Toward the end, Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey tells Editor-in-chief of Salon.com Joan Walsh that "I'm so damn glad that you could never be my wife, cause I surely wouldn't have to listen to that prattle from you every day."

Not only does he dismiss what she has to say on the basis of her gender, he seems to imply that everything wives in general say is "prattle". Too bad this one is taken, girls.

To me, this "soft" sexism is the scariest thing about gender relations. We can fix things like equal pay and access to contraception, but when a certain portion of the male population doesn't think that women have value beyond nagging their husbands, this is much harder to fix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home