The Feminist Pessimist

Journey of giving birth to a girl in a world that just wants her to bake cookies for the boys.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States

I am a software quality assurance engineer and manager for Statistica. I love math, programming, and problem isolation & solving. Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Not exactly related to my blog's main topic...

Everyone else did this last fall, but here it is. Seven things you might not know about me. Tagged by @jonathaneunice on Twitter.

1. I donate blood frequently. It is one of the few "good" things I do. I'm up to over four gallons. I've done it pretty much every 56 days for the past several years, except when I was pregnant. Actually I did it once when I was pregnant but before I knew.

2. I'm a better than average pool player. In college, I once spent every day of Spring Break at Slick Willies.

3. I was a founding member of the Young Republicans at my high school. I liked the promise of small government and self responsibility. But our group volunteered at a state convention, where all the speakers talked about was hating gay people and abortion. I was sent into a political identity crisis, because those people were not like me at all. I quietly remained a registered Republican until 2004 but changed so I could vote in the Democratic Primary that year. I interned in Washington for Republican Congressman J.C. Watts in the summer of 2000, but I voted for Gore in the fall of 2000.

4. Most of my neighborhood was destroyed in the May 3, 1999 tornado. It was finals week of my freshman year of college, and I had moved back home to give my dad some company while he was going through a tough time. We drove far enough away from the tornado beforehand due to ample warning, but we drove back in about 15 minutes after it had passed to find some pretty ugly destruction. There was an old apparently crazy lady dressed in party clothes and awful makeup just wandering around. My brother helped carry an injured person to an ambulance using a front door as a gurney. I saw somebody with a big object stuck in their head. Our house was mostly fine but four houses south and four houses east were leveled. Strange thing - I actually slept that night. It must have been a defense mechanism or something because I usually lose sleep over the tiniest little worry.

5. The highlight of my life so far was performing an unassisted triple play in t-ball when I was 6. I was playing third base, caught a fly ball, tagged 3rd base, and tagged out the runner who had somehow made it most of the way from 2nd to 3rd base. It was not as much skill on my part as it was just knowing the rules of the game (due to many hours of watching baseball on TV) and the girls on the opposing team not knowing them.

6. I've always wanted to star in a musical. I have no singing ability, dancing ability, or acting ability, which has made this dream difficult to fulfill. I took a speech class in high school, where I got to act a little bit and quickly realized that I sucked. I did learn that I had much more of a talent for writing the material to be performed.

7. I am a huge fan of Lost. I make fun of other people for watching sci-fi or fantasy TV shows and movies. Usually I can't stomach anything that isn't somehow grounded in reality. But I haven't missed an episode and even rewatched seasons 1-4 in the past few months. I pause on each frame of the commercials for Season 5 to see if there are any clues.

Tagging:

1. @tdavenport
2. @lindstifa
3. @karonalight
4. @ivegotzooms
5. @toldorknown
6. @contemptslots
7. @msteciuk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home