The Feminist Pessimist

Journey of giving birth to a girl in a world that just wants her to bake cookies for the boys.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States

I am a software quality assurance engineer and manager for Statistica. I love math, programming, and problem isolation & solving. Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

One way to say: "Your baby's name is stupid"

When I asked another expectant mother what her baby boy's name was going to be, she replied with one of those new agey, hippie names. Rather than say I liked it, I said "Ahhh, is that a family name?" I thought I was being clever, but apparently this is a known polite way respond to a bad name.

We have our own new agey, hippie name picked out. Twice today alone, I have heard "Ahhh, is that a family name?"

Other responses that convey the same thought:

"My friends have a dog named that" and "My 15 year old son has a (guy) friend named that"

Of course I've also heard a good number of positive comments, so maybe she won't be eating lunch alone throughout junior high. For that reason, at least.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beta Bunny said...

It's a great name, one you can yell from the back 10 times and one that will stir pride coming through the PA system at graduation.


Ignore the naysayers!

January 08, 2008 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home