The Feminist Pessimist

Journey of giving birth to a girl in a world that just wants her to bake cookies for the boys.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States

I am a software quality assurance engineer and manager for Statistica. I love math, programming, and problem isolation & solving. Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

More things I know

On Emerson's birthday I mentioned that I didn't really know much about her yet. Here are a few things that I have either learned in the past three months or are clearer now.

1. Emerson apparently likes books more than the other kids in her class do. We knew she liked them, but every teacher she's had has made a big deal about how much she liked looking through the books and being read to.

2. She's a bit compulsive....She knows when things don't belong on the floor. She puts stray items on the table or when she is unsure, she hands the item to me or Daddy for disposal or to put in its proper place. She has kind of a thing about shoes too. If either my shoes or Rod's shoes are on the floor, she brings them to us. If we sit them down on the floor again, she insists that we keep the shoes in our hands. She likes to sort things too. Definitely a trait from me.

3. She's a people-pleaser. Another trait from me. She likes to be praised for any job she has done well.

4. She gives awesome hugs. Yesterday she ran across the yard to me with her arms up and ready to hug, as if she were flying. She also makes a content humming sound when the hug you give her is particularly good.

5. Emerson has a good sense of humor. Tonight she was putting blocks on top of my head and laughing and laughing and laughing about it.

6. She's very smart. She already knows which shoe goes on which foot. When we were staying in a hotel, she walked right up to the air conditioning system and flipped the lid to get to the controllers like she had been doing it her whole life.

7. She gets frustrated when she can't do something perfectly. Me again. There is a lid to her bucket of blocks. If she can't get the lid to stay on the bucket, she gets frustrated and cries. If I help her out, this is no good. She needs to have done it herself.

Here is a photo of her today. I like the look of pure joy on her face. Emerson was in the process of carrying Daddy's shoes across the room while also getting chased by (and chasing) the dogs. She doesn't typically wear dresses or skirts, but today was picture day at school. She usually wears solid colored pants and a print top and dark blue Velcro shoes that were purchased in the boys' section at Target. Sadly, I the teachers seem to give her more attention when she's dressed up like a cute little girl. We would think that the YWCA would be more mindful of this kind of thing, but no such luck.

From Emerson - Various

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home