The Feminist Pessimist

Journey of giving birth to a girl in a world that just wants her to bake cookies for the boys.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States

I am a software quality assurance engineer and manager for Statistica. I love math, programming, and problem isolation & solving. Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

O Really?

Error message upon entering last name into field to get credit report from Experian: "Your last name should have only letters and spaces".

This offends me both as a software tester and a feminist. Nobody thought of hyphens? Now I have to decide whether they want me to enter Shankle Knowlton, Knowlton, Shankle, or ShankleKnowlton.

I picked wrong so I have to submit a request by mail now.

2 Comments:

Blogger califmom said...

What a colossal load of crap. What's one additional character when it comes to coding? Really? It's not like the concept of hyphenating a last name is new. I know children who hyphenate their last names. Truly ridiculous.

July 30, 2009 7:17 PM  
Blogger Amanda Shankle-Knowlton said...

I get comments ALL the time when people see my name. Maybe it's a regional thing. Folks at the bank, voting registration, or tag agency all have to say something like "what you need is a few more last names". Feel super bad for Em though - she has a hyphenated last name. For me, it's easy because I can drop one of the last names in some situations just to make things easy if I need to. Like my email accounts just have one last name. She can't do that without making a decision like "which parent do I love more?"

August 01, 2009 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home