The Feminist Pessimist

Journey of giving birth to a girl in a world that just wants her to bake cookies for the boys.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States

I am a software quality assurance engineer and manager for Statistica. I love math, programming, and problem isolation & solving. Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Typical reactions to baby's sex

Several acquaintances have asked: "What are you having?"

My smartass response is "a baby".

When the sex is revealed, the reactions have been generally along these lines:

A girl!? You must be so excited!

I bet you can't wait to spoil her!

Girls are so cute!

Are you going to buy a bunch of pink stuff?

She'll be daddy's little girl!

If I didn't have to see these people on a daily basis, I would tell them it is a boy to see what the opposite reaction would be. Maybe I'll start doing this with strangers when I get further along to see what the range of response is if you say you are having a boy.

I don't foresee treating a girl any differently than I would a boy. Kids just need love and support in addition to all of the material things we're required by law to give. Basically, I just want to flood her with opportunities to learn about everything imaginable - math, science, and technology included. I want to steer her toward being an honest person, an inquisitive person, a responsible person, a person who can empathize with others, and a self-sufficient person. Everything else just depends on the kid. Before she is able to pick out her own clothes and toys, I do want to stick to gender neutral stuff (green and yellow clothes) or a mixture of items that are traditionally reserved for one gender or the other (i.e. toy trucks AND a play kitchen set). I extend my deepest fake apologies now for any acquaintance who is deprived of the opportunity to see my newborn in frilly pink clothing with bows affixed to her head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home